Submitted by Aneta Costin on Mon, 12/16/2013 - 12:30
The week past…
1. The Storm hit Forest Hill Collegiate on Friday afternoon and it was a delightful experience for the staff, students, parents and relatives who attended one of the two performances. Intense drama, whimsical comedy and everything in between combined with impressive staging and stunning costumes to make for an outstanding production. Arts teachers Ms. Roca, Mr. Warford and Mr. Conley join the cast and crew of The Storm in thanking the students for being such a wonderful audience.
This week at FHCI…
2. Markbook Printouts: Monday to Thursday, December 16 to 19
All students will receive a Markbook printout from each teacher by Thursday of this week. Please ensure your child brings home a Markbook printout from each course by the end of the day on Thursday.
3. Daily Bread Food Bank Drive: All Week
Please help the Social Action Club fill their food and clothing donation bins this week. Our boxes in the foyer have plenty of room for donations from every family in the school community. Please get your donation into your child’s backpack and we will take it from there. In addition, we are asking all students to donate $2 to the Daily Bread Food Bank during their Period 1 class between Monday and Wednesday. This will also help cover the cost of the Pancake Breakfast on Thursday, for which there is no other cost (see below). Please be generous.
4. Locker Clean Out: Monday, December 16, Period 1
All students will participate in a general locker clean out in Period 1 so there is no enticement for little four legged creatures to come in from the cold and hunt for their next meal in student lockers over the holiday break.
5. Late Opening: Tuesday, December 17
We will follow the Late Opening schedule on Tuesday morning to allow for our monthly meeting of staff. At the November staff meeting, our teachers participated in a presentation about meeting the needs of students who are experiencing depression, anxiety and mental health challenges.
6. Pancake Breakfast: Thursday, December 19
The Pancake Breakfast has become a holiday tradition at FHCI. Here is the schedule for Thursday:
Pancake Breakfast – Thursday, December 19th
Pancakes served in the caf. 8:30 - 9:30
Period 1 9:30 - 10:40
Period 2 10:45 - 11:55
Lunch 11:55 - 12:55
Period 3 12:55 - 2:05
Period 4 2:10 - 3:20
7. No classes: Friday, December 20
All teachers have been assigned to take an unpaid leave day in accordance with the agreement reached between the provincial government and Ontario teachers. There will be no classes on Friday and no teachers will be at school. The office staff and administration will be present if you need our assistance.
8. Student absence
Please ensure you inform the office of the reason for your child’s absence whenever your child is absent from one or more classes any day. This includes illness, appointments, family holidays, etc. The exception is school-planned activities. If you email or phone the office in advance of the return from absence, then you do not need to send a note of explanation. Please note that a discretionary absence (non-school tournaments, family holidays, etc.) may affect a student’s achievement if an evaluation is missed during that absence. Our policy for dealing with absences is on Pages 17-22 in our Student Agenda Book. If you need a copy in addition to the one I sent home via email at the beginning of the school year, please let me know.
Looking ahead…to 2014!
9. Culminating Activities begin on January 6. See the Agenda Book for student requirements during Culminating Activities
10. Last day to drop a course and not receive a final achievement mark: January 6
11. School Council Meeting: Wednesday, January 8