Submitted by Aneta Costin on Mon, 10/19/2015 - 08:04
It is another busy week at FHCI! We will have an especially busy day on Monday as FHCI is being used as a voting location for tomorrow’s Federal Election. The polls will be set up in the auditorium, so there will be no impact on our classes.
This week at FHCI...
1. United Way Fund Raising Week, Monday October 19 to Friday, October 23.
Forest Hill Collegiate is a strong supporter of the annual United Way Campaign. You can read about the work of the United Way in Toronto and York Region athttps://www.unitedwaytyr.com. We kick off our week’s campaign with assemblies for all students. Our tradition at FHCI is for each home form class to work with their teacher to generate a plan for a class-based fund-raising activity. Here is the schedule of fund-raisers during lunch this week starting on Tuesday. In addition, our PhysEd Department is organizing lunch time teacher-student games. If you are able, please provide your child with the funds to donate to the home form fund-raising activities.
11A1- Mario Kart
11H1- Grilled Cheese
10F1- Mini Golf
12D1- Teacher Quotes
12G1- Donut Sales
10J1- Temp. Tattoo Sales
9A1- Bake Sale
9D1- Crazy Hair Salon
12F1- Charity Jar
11F1- Fortune Teller
11B1- Giant Jenga
12E1- Guess How Many
12B1- Balloon Pop
2. Ontario Colleges Information Fair: Monday, October 19 and Tuesday, October 20
If your child is exploring the programs at Ontario Community Colleges, be sure you and your child visit the Ontario Colleges Information Fair on Monday from 5:00 to 9:00 PM. The Fair is held at the Enercare Centre (formerly Direct Energy Centre), which is at Exhibition Place at 100 Princes' Blvd, Toronto.
3. Progress Reports Issued: Last Period, Monday, October 19
15 minutes before the end of the day on Monday, students will return to their Period 1 classroom to pick up their Progress Report envelope to take home to parents/caregivers. The envelope contains a one-page report showing your child’s progress to date. The report contains letter grades (E = Excellent; G = Good; S = Satisfactory; U = Unsatisfactory) as well as teacher comment and a count of absences and lates for each class. Please note that when you report your child absent to observe a holy day, the absence is not included in the count. Please review the report with your child. If you have questions, please contact your child’s teacher, guidance counsellor, vice principal or me.
The Progress Report leads up to Parent-Teacher Conferences on Thursday, October 29 in the afternoon and evening. Parents/caregivers sign up online for five-minute appointments. If you wish to speak to a teacher longer about your child’s progress, you are invited to make a follow up appointment.
Full information about booking appointments will be sent to you via email.
4. School Council Pot-Luck Supper followed by School Council Meeting: Wednesday, October 21
Please join the School Council for their pot-luck supper at 6:00 PM and then, if you wish, stay for the School Council meeting which begins at 7:00 PM. For parents/caregivers of students new to FHCI, this is a great opportunity to meet other new parents/caregivers. Bring a dish for the ‘pot’, if you can, but more importantly, bring yourself. I have attached the invitation to this email for your reference.
Looking ahead at FHCI…
5. Late Opening for Staff Meeting: Tuesday, October 27
6. Photo retake day: Tuesday, October 27
7. Parent/Caregiver-Teacher Conferences: Thursday, October 29
8. Late Opening: Friday, October 30
8. Markbook Printouts Issued: Monday, November 2 to Friday, November 5
9. Take Our Kids to Work Day, Grade 9 students: Wednesday, November 4. Information will be sent to parents/caregivers.
10. Academic Awards Assembly, Grade 10-12 students: Wednesday, November 4. Invitations will be sent to parent/caregivers of award winners.
And...Let's Go, Blue Jays!
Forest Hill Collegiate Institute
Where students and staff take a stand against bullying
730 Eglinton Ave W
Toronto, ON M5N 1B9
416 393-1860 x 20010