Submitted by Aneta Costin on Mon, 05/16/2016 - 09:22
• Congratulations to Amir Sedaghatian and Justin Shapiro in their exceptional performance at “Make Your Pitch” last week at the ‘Make Your Pitch’ competition. Justin made the live pitch on behalf of the two-person team in front of hundreds of people at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, as well as throughout the Make Your Pitch bootcamp. The pair did an excellent job in this year’s competition and I send them congratulations on behalf of the whole FHCI community.
• Students received the Culminating Activities Schedule at school last week. I will email it to parents/guardians on Monday for your reference.
• The June exam schedule will come to you before the end of May.
This week at FHCI...
1. Celebration Assemblies: Wednesday, May 18
On Wednesday morning, we will hold our 8th annual Celebration Assemblies where we honour students who have contributed to the life of FHCI. The parents/guardians of the honoured students have been invited to attend. There will be two identical assemblies, one for Grade 11 and 12 students at 9:45 and the other for Grade 9 and 10 students at 10:45. Following the second assembly we will hold a reception for students and their parents/guardians in the third floor Art Gallery.
Students will come to the assemblies according to grade, accompanied by their teachers.
The schedule for Wednesday is:
Period 1: 9:05 - 9:40
Period 2: 9:45 - 10:45 – Sr. Assembly
10:45 - 11:45 – Jr. Assembly
Lunch: 11:45 – 12:45
2. So You Think You Can Slam Poetry Night: Wednesday, May 18
I am pleased to send along this message from the Social Action Club along with the attached flyer…
The Social Action Club is very proud to invite you to our second annual So You Think You Can Slam poetry night! Come join us onWednesday, May 18 at 7:00 PM for a phenomenal evening filled with student poets, guest judges, and student entertainers while helping us spread social justice through literacy. Tickets can be purchased in advance at lunch in the main foyer or at the door for a minimum donation of just $5.
The Social Action Club believes that literacy is a powerful tool for social justice. That is why we are holding this fund-raiser and poetry night. All proceeds are being raised for Frontier College’s Aboriginal Summer Literacy Camps that are empowering children and youth in more than 40 communities in Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia and Quebec. For more information about this incredible program visit: http://www.frontiercollege.ca/english/news_releases/abcamps.html ).
If you cannot attend the event, donations for Frontier College’s Aboriginal Summer Literacy Camps are being collected in every home form class until Tuesday May 17th.
Click the link below to see a poem performed by students from Get Lit, an American after school program that first inspired us to pursue literacy as a vehicle for empowerment and social justice.
3. Victoria Day: Monday, May 23
There are no classes on Monday, May 23
4. EQAO Numeracy Practice: Thursday, May 26
Students in Grade 9 Mathematics classes this semester will spend Period 4 on May 26 in formal practice for the mandatory EQAO Numeracy exam held in mid-June. The EQAO test counts towards student final course marks. Our school results will be publish in September 2016 and each student will get an individual report.
5. FHCI Prom: Thursday, May 26
The FHCI teachers supervising the prom are looking forward to a wonderful evening. Parents/guardians of students who have purchased tickets for the prom are reminded of the requirement that students attending the prom remain drug and alcohol free prior to and during the prom. This includes activities at pre-prom parties and the prom itself. We rely on thecooperation of parents/guardians to ensure this requirement is met.
6. Special Schedule: Friday, May 27
We will operate on a special schedule on Friday, May 27. On Friday, students will received their 2015-2016 Yearbook and participate in the annual Hillstock activities. Classes will end at noon. Details will follow.
Principal, Forest Hill Collegiate Institute